Digitalization Trends: Gartner Considers These Technologies to Be Pivotal
In the recently presented Gartner Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies 2017, the industry analysts of the US American consulting company again summarize the current and future trends of digitalization. This year, Gartner identifies eight new trend technologies, including 5G, Artificial General Intelligence, Deep Learning, Digital Twin, Edge Computing and Serverless PaaS.
– Source: Gartner
Technologies with varying degrees of importance can be seen for the Industrial Internet of Things in the Gartner Hype Cycle. According to it, the technology consultants forecast that the key digital key technologies for platform use in the business sector are 5G, Digital Twin, Edge Computing, Blockchain, IoT Platforms, Neuromorphic Hardware, Quantum Computing, Serverless PaaS and Software-Defined Security.
Digital Technology Megatrends
Gartner already presented the Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2017 in digital technology at the end of last year and categorized them into three groups for the most significant tendencies. Therefore, business developers and especially very progressive technology pioneers should take up these three mega-trends and enrich them with ideas to understand future influences on their own business development.
– Source: Gartner
- Applied AI & Advanced Machine Learning characterize such existing and future developed systems, which —once programmed — independently understand, learn, predict and “act” independently according to the prediction, that is, initialize and/or perform actions to introduce or continue processes. In addition, they will also even be able to adapt or change existing behavior. With that, the systems might be able to contribute to the development of intelligent applications and machines in addition to human research. For example, data can be obtained via sensors in VR goggles for eyetracking that can serve for future development of images, so that optical impressions are detected faster, such as logistical control environments, in machine operation, or in advertising.
“AI technologies will be the most disruptive class of technologies over the next 10 years due to radical computational power, near-endless amounts of data and unprecedented advances in deep neural networks.” *
– Mike J. Walker, Research Director, Gartner
- Intelligent Apps – According to Gartner, intelligent apps will be able to structure recurring tasks and activities of everyday life in the workplace more simply or handle them directly, similar to virtual personal assistants.
- Intelligent things currently mean for Gartner primarily drones, robots and autonomous vehicles. These could interact in collaborative intelligence given corresponding joint usage.
- Virtual & Augmented Reality – Already today more or less part of everyday life, VR/AR will even have a greater share of how change experiences and interactions change in society and industry.
- Digital Twins – will enable improvement in the condition of devices based on data from measured values, with which alternative scenarios are calculated in a digital environment, in the future.
- Blockchains and Distributed Ledgers – Contrary to the growing fantasies, which are produced in the area for experts of digital technologies in general, the first applications will most likely be related to intellectual property, i.e., licensed music, in addition to the only trusted crytocurrency until now, the bitcoin. Other technologies for transfer scenarios are already in development. Conceivable Blockchains could include everything else that has a monetary or non-material value: loans, land registry entries, identities or voting rights.
Conversational Systems (networked systems) – Technological communication, regardless of whether by application software to devices or directly from machine to machine (M2M), can range from a comparatively simple, bilateral conversation all the way to more complex conversations that promote the workflows of business processes. More advanced systems make it possible to use several properties, e.g., directly extracted data from inputs, sensors or big data, to communicate.
Mesh App and Service Architecture (networked architecture of apps and services): In addition to users, the biggest challenge is the interplay of technology and instruments that is used for solutions. A far-reaching transformation process can be forecast here, possibly with a continuous character or an open end.
Digital Technology Platforms – Digital technology platforms signify the basis for future (digital) business, consisting of business analytics, information systems, customer experience (or data from that), the (Industrial) Internet of Things and the respectively specific business eco-system.
Adaptive Security Architecture – IT security is inherent to the challenge for every company working digitally; at the same time, it is an adaptive component from procurement to production process and all the way to the offered products and services.
On the other hand, the previously mentioned trends 802.11ax, Affective Computing, Context Brokering, Gesture Control Devices, Data Broker PaaS (dbrPaaS), Micro Data Centers, Natural-Language Question Answering, HR Analytics, Smart Data Discovery and Virtual Personal Assistants are no longer contained in the Gartner Hype Cycle 2017.